Monday, 12 September 2011

Memorable Music Videos

What music video(s) are most memorable for you or that you are inspired by?

In order to be able to create a good music video for my A2 media coursework,  I did some research by watching a few music videos by already signed and well known artists. One video that really stood out for me would be Stay with me by You Me At Six taken from their album 'Hold Me Down' which was released in 2010, as it is a perfect example of a narrative and concept video.
You Me At Six are a English rock band from Surrey who formed as a group in 2004, but rose to fame in 2008 with the release of their debut album 'Take Off Your Colours'. They have since grown in popularity in other European countries and the US.

I find this particular music video by them really memorable and interesting because most of their older videos are performance based, such as 'Save It For The Bedroom'. Whereas 'Stay With Me', although still including an aspect of performance, also includes a concept which has a underlying link with the lyrics.
Another thing that I find interesting about this music video is that the band is filmed performing in the same place that the concept/narrative part of the video takes place.


Another video that I find really memorable would be 'Jar of Hearts' by 'Christina Perri' which is a performance and narrative video. The thing that I find most interesting about this video is the fact that the lyrics and story of the song is not only conveyed in the narrative aspect of the video, but also in the performance. An example of this would be around 2:49 in the video where the dancing is made to look like fighting; the actions made by the performers are a direct link to the lyrics of the song at that moment.
I also find that the lighting and dark tone of the video creates a bleak atmosphere that matches the sad feeling, pace and lyrics of the song perfectly. However, this dark lighting then changes towards the end of the song and becomes brighter, which I think is a really effective use of editing as it feels as though the protagonist (the singer, Christina Perri) has resolved her sad feelings towards the man she is singing about and therefore grown stronger because of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment