Monday, 26 March 2012

Evaluation: Question Three

What have you learned from audience feedback?

The measuring of an audience is very important to media institutions as the collection and reviewing of their feedback on a product helps producers to create and form products that are suited to their target audience in regard to expectations, engagement, and identification with a product.

Throughout the making and creative processes of my music video, Digipak and advert, I gained a reasonable amount of audience feedback through a number of different ways. Firstly, I created an 11 question questionnaire, which consisted of a mixture of ordinal data questions (‘Yes and No’), Interval data questions (rating scale) and qualitative data questions which give the audience the opportunity to voice their own thoughts and opinions. This mixture of different questions was very useful in gathering audience feedback, as the questions which required ‘yes’ and ‘no’ answers or sorted answers into categories created quantitative data which made it easier to organise my feedback and get a better idea of what the strengths and weaknesses of my products were, and whether or not they were a successful in conveying the R&B genre. The questionnaire was also very useful as although it used questions that gathered numeric data, it also allowed the audience to voice their own specific opinions on what they thought on the final product through the inclusion of qualitative data questions such as ‘what were your first impressions of the music video?’ and ‘what are some strengths/ weaknesses of the music video?’.  After putting the questionnaire together, I gathered a sample of 30 participants, whose ages began at 16, and asked them to watch my music video and fill out my questionnaire.

Here is a picture of a participant filling out a questionnaire:



The full set of questions that I included in my questionnaire are as follows:

1.       What Genre of music did you think this music video was?

This question was necessary for inclusion on the questionnaire as I needed to see whether or not my music video was recognisable as one of the R&B genre, and thus whether or not the conventions I used were recognisable and successful in conveying this.
Out of the feedback I received it was very apparent that the music video came across as of the R&B genre, as the majority of people selected this option as a answer,  with 4 people also selecting ‘Pop’ as well as ‘R&B’. Not one person selected the option ‘Pop’ on its own, and no one selected any of the other options. This clearly indicates that the music video was successful in the use of R&B conventions.  Below Is a pie chart showing the results from this question.
















2.    What strikes you about this music video as being of that particular genre?

I included this question as I needed to back up the data collected from the first questions, and see whether the conventions used were noticeable.

However, one person stated in answer to this question that ‘the music’ was an indicator of the genre rather than the music video. Which indicates that either the conventions were not successful, or simply that the person was unsure of the conventions that go into the R&B genre. As other people I asked seemed to be able to easily recognise conventions that I had included.

3.       What Genre of music do you usually listen to/ listen to the most?

I included this question in order to establish the reliability of my results, as someone who listens to a lot of ‘rock’ or ‘metal’ music may not be able to distinguish the differences between ‘R&B’ or ‘Hip Hop’ as easily as someone who does listen to  and watch music videos of that particular genre regularly. This could thereby have an effect on what they thought the genre of the music was. However, I do not think that this had an effect on the results at all, as people I asked who did listen to music that was not R&B were still able to tell that the music video was that of the R&B Genre. An example of this can seen from the following participant who selected the option of ‘R&B’ as response to question 1, and selected other options such as ‘Acoustic’ and ‘Rock’ on this question.


Here are some pie charts and graphs showing the results of the questionnaire, keeping in mind that participants were allowed to select more than one option.






























The graphs above clearly shows that the majority of the audience who filled out the questionnaires were fans of the R&B genre, which suggests that my music video was successful considering that 83% of the 30 people I asked recognised the video as being ‘R&B’.

4.       What were your first impressions of the music video?

This question was simply to gain an idea of what people first thought upon watching the music video, and to see if these first impressions would affect the answers they gave in the following questions. Many of the comments given focussed on the setting and the shots that were used, as well some comments on the metaphor of the string. One participant commented ‘The setting is beautiful and poignant’, another commenting that they ‘noticed a variety of settings which aided (their) understanding of the events occurring in the video’.

5.       Do you think the visuals and narrative of the video tie in with the lyrics of the music?

This question was to test whether or not the conventions I used worked. As music videos of the R&B genre usually have visuals that match the lyrics of the song they are promoting.  

Out of the 30 people I asked, 27 people stated ‘Yes’ in response to this question, and 3 people stated ‘no’. This shows that over all, I was successful in tying in the visual shots with the lyrics of the music as 90% of people agreed that the visuals matched the lyrics. However, I could probably have improved the results more by asking why people answered ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ with another qualitative question asking their opinions, as this would give me an idea on how I could have improved upon matching the song lyrics with the narrative for the people who responded with the option ‘No’.


6.       Would you watch this music video if it was on television?

I included this question to test the likability of the music video, as someone may have liked the music but not liked the video.

7.       What music channels do you watch? (if none, leave blank)

I included this question in my questionnaire for similar reasons as to why I included question 3, as someone who watches a lot of rock channels such as ‘Kerrang’ and ‘Scuzz’, or someone who watches a lot of Dance channels such as ‘MTV Dance’, ‘DanceNationTV’ or ‘Clubland’ may not be able to identify with what is expected of an R&B video. And this could possibly have an effect on the results I gained. This was also necessary for inclusion on the questionnaire as it could show me if someone of the target audience (i.e. someone who watches a lot of R&B music channels/ music videos) would recognise my video as being of the R&B genre, and thus agree with the conventions that I included.

The results of the questionnaire showed that the people I asked watched a wide range of music channels, ranging from the Chart Show, Flava, MTV channels, Viva, Kiss, The Box, Kerrang and Scuzz. However, not one person left the question blank, which indicates that every person watches at least one Music channel.

8.       What music channel/s would you expect to see this music video on?

Participants mostly responded to this question with the answers ‘MTV’ ‘Flava’ and ‘chart show’. Three channels that play R&B music regularly, especially ‘Flava’ which is renowned for playing R&B music. This shows that my video was successful in conveying the R&B genre.

9.       Please rate this music video on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being very bad, and 10 being very good)

I used this question to get an idea of simply how enjoyable people found my music video, and to see if my hard work during the research, planning and editing processes paid off. The results showed that overall I received quite high ratings from the audience with 14 people giving the video a 6 out of 10.



10.       What are some of the strengths/weaknesses of the music video?

This qualitative data question is one of the most important from the questionnaire as this would allow me to see specifically what the target audience thought was good about my music video, and what they thought I could improve upon. One person commented that ‘the storyline evokes a lot of emotion that other girls can associate with, well structured’. This shows me that I have constructed my video well enough so that the storyline is understandable to the audience, and this also supports the idea that the narrative matches the lyrics of the music. There were also a few comments on my lip syncing and editing abilities, one person saying that ‘the lip-syncing was good’. This shows me that my use of editing in regards to lip syncing is one of my strengths, and that extensive use of final cut express has helped me improve my skills in this area. However, a few people commented that they thought my editing should be a bit faster, this would have made the visuals more exciting and fit in better with the pace of the song.

11. Any Other Comments?

I included this question just in case participants wanted to say something about the music video which was not covered by any of the other questions. Some people commented on the metaphor of the string and the actress being ‘Trapped’, one person commenting that they ‘liked what the string symbolised. Although this question did not have the desired outcome, as most people just wrote ‘Well Done’

Below is a Powerpoint presentation I made displaying 5 completed examples of questionnaires that were filled out over the course of my audience feedback task.


Audience feedback throughout the creation and after the creation of my final products has been very useful, especially when it came to tasks such as making my advert and digipak, as it allowed me to collect data from  a specific target audience and gather opinions on what worked well, which in turn enabled me to make well-informed creative decisions. Some audience feedback that I found particularly helpful was gained through my advert comparison task.

Some other audience feedback which I found really helpful was gained through another task where I stuck  pictures of both my advert and my digipak onto an A3 sheet of paper, and asked a select few from my questionnaire task to write down some comments in relation to the pictures.

Below is a picture of this task:

No comments:

Post a Comment